At the Red Lea it is our aim to make our comfortable accommodation, public areas and facilities, great food and drink and friendly efficient service available to as many as practically possible.
This access statement is written with this aim in mind.
- We deal with enquiries by telephone, fax, post and e-mail.
- Our website is accessible to all users.
- Scarborough train station is the nearest National Rail station, with level access to platforms, and ramps available.
- There is on street parking directly outside the hotel for which parking permits are issued.
- There is a drop off point for both coaches and cars directly outside the hotel with a small coach park within 200 metres (on Esplanade Road)
- Public transport is very good in the area, with a local bus request stop immediately outside the hotel providing an hourly service to the town centre, in addition to a more regular service provided on the main street less than half a mile away. Both services drop off in the centre of Scarborough, close to the Shop Mobility scheme.
- Scarborough town centre is a mile away, with a pedestrian main shopping area.
- There are a number of taxi services within Scarborough – our Reception staff will be pleased to book a taxi for you.
Main Entrance & Reception
- There are eight steps up into the hotel with handrails.
- We can provide assistance to those with mobility problems.
- Wheelchair access is very difficult due ti the steps at the main entrance to the hotel.
- The lift is situated on the ground floor and is large enough for most wheelchairs – from the ground floor the bedrooms on the first, second and third floors can be accessed. Some rooms are on half landings.
- The double entrance doors at the main entrance are manual, with an opening width of 1m (3’ 9”)
- The reception area is well lit with a seating area in the front lounge if waiting is expected.
- Reception is manned from 8am until 10pm with a night porter on call from 10pm until 8am.
Public Areas – General
- All public areas of the hotel are fully accessible to all, with level flooring throughout, apart from the swimming pool area (stairs down to lower ground floor).
- The hotel is carpeted throughout, apart from bathrooms which have a non-slip surface and the swimming pool surround and changing rooms.
- Access between floors is by stairs or the lift.
- Braille signage is not provided in the lift but we can provide assistance.
- Public toilets are located on the ground floor and are accessible via a corridor with fire doors. Flooring is non-slip safety type.
- All rooms are en-suite, with a non-slip surface in the bathroom.
- The bathrooms are level access but some have a step or more than one step from the bedroom – please advise us when booking if you need a room with level access.
- Of the 68 bedrooms,18 have walk in showers and 50 have baths (23 with shower over).
- Assistance dogs are welcome.
- Rooms are clearly numbered, and staff will be pleased to assist in taking any luggage to rooms.
- Reception will assist visitors with messages if required – there are phones in the rooms with access to external lines.
- The interior of the hotel is designed to clearly differentiate between walls, floors, and doorways.
- The restaurant is spacious with a variety of seating arrangements.
- Menus are provided on each table, and in addition to the printed format may be presented verbally.
- Chef will do his best to accommodate any dietary requirements, but due to the fact all food is prepared on-site, it cannot be guaranteed to be nut free.
- Guests with specific dietary requirements, or medication, will be able to leave them in the hotel fridge.
- Tea and coffee, sandwiches etc.are available during the day and reception staff will be pleased to give you directions to tea-shops, cafes etc.
- The hotel bar is on the ground floor, with double doors leading through to the restaurant area.
- Fixed seating is provided around the walls, with small tables and stools, providing a central area for wheelchair access.
- Background music is played in the bar area.
- Live entertainment is provided on many weeks of the year – entertainment is either in the bar or restaurant area where there is also a dancefloor (35ft.x 15ft.)
- The small lounge (Club Room) at the front of the hotel provides an opportunity to sit quietly to read or look out to the gardens and sea beyond.
- The Italian Garden, The Rose Garden, and The Shuttleworth Sensory Garden, are all close by.
- Access to the beach and nearby Spa Complex can be achieved either by steps, slope, or through the Spa Lift, which is situated on the Esplanade approximately 100m from the Red Lea.
- The Swimming Pool (open from 7.30am to 7.30pm) is on the lower ground floor(unfortunately with no lift access). Rules of use are at Reception. You must ‘sign in’ and collect towels and key code at Reception and ‘sign out’ on leaving the pool.
- Loop system at reception
- Change numbers on rooms to raised numerals
- Centre Handrail from pavement to ground floor and portable ramp to facilitate wheelchair access.
- Alternative menu / brochure provision
- Tactile mats at foot and top of stairs.
- Red flashing beacons and vibrating pillow pads included in fire alarm system